Celebrating Thirteen Years!
As NESM enters it's tenth year, the excitement is brewing. We are planning a big Alumni Festival! We hope to see all families whose children have been enrolled throughout the past decade and look forward to seeing how the children have grown.
Join us at one of our weekly Open House events: Call 203-878-9822 for a tour of the amazing Montessori environment for children ages 18 mo. through sixth grade - Visit our school to find out what our unique Montessori classroom environments can offer to you and your child.
The Montessori Philosophy
Early in the twentieth century, Dr. Maria Montessori, Italy's first female physician, developed educational materials and methods based on her belief that children learn best by doing, not by passively accepting other people's ideas and pre-existing knowledge. It was an innovative learning idea and means the active personal pursuit of many different experiences: physical, social, emotional, cognitive. With the materials Montessori devised, an environment in which such learning takes place can be created. Montessori believed learning should occur in multi-age classrooms where children at various stages of development learn from and with each other. Her developmentally appropriate approach was designed to fit each child instead of making each child fit the program.
While utilizing the philosophy and methodology of Maria Montessori, the mission of the New England School of Montessori is to provide a rich environment for learning that fosters total growth and enthusiasm for lifelong learning in each child.
Our Growth - Year 2000 through 2009
We opened our doors to twenty children in the Fall of 2000. Since then, we have added two additional Primary classrooms (Ages 3 - 6) and have begun an enrollment waiting list. In fall 2004, we opened a Lower Elementary classroom (Grades 1 through 3, Ages 6 - 9). In 2009, we moved to a larger space that offers enormous amounts of natural light and we opened a fourth grade level and have plans to expand through grade six by Fall 2011.
Our Future Vision
Our school has grown steadily each year developing into a program which will accommodate children ages Toddler - 12 years. Our goal is to provide a solid foundation for learning to the young people of Milford and all surrounding communities. We believe Montessori offers children a solid foundation in which to develop from physically, socially, emotionally and academically. Our students are well-rounded in their abilities and interests and score 35% higher on standard tests than CT children the same age who have not expanded themselves within the Montessori environment.
- The Toddler Community: Older infants through three years of age explore their world through the nurturing comfort of our calm and peaceful space.
- The Children's House: Home to children ages three through six (equivalent to preschool and kindergarten), the NESM Primary Program includes three classrooms.
- The Elementary School (equivalent to grades 1 through 6): For children ages six through twelve, NESM's Elementary classroom features one spacious classroom.
The intimate atmosphere of this small school provides the children with a personalized education and a celebration of their individuality.
The NESM Environment
- Nourishes children's natural curiosity
- Supports their continuing steps on the path to discovery
- Celebrates their accomplishments, large and small
- Provides a strong foundation for a lifelong love of learning
- Instills in students a deep confidence in themselves and
- their abilities—a confidence that serves them well as they move on into the wider world
- Our intimate environment, our emphasis on academic rigor, and our focus on each student's individual strengths all help produce young people with a solid sense of self, who step out and face their future with a strong mind and an open heart
Maria Montessori saw much need for reform
in the educational system of her day,
just as we see the same need for reform in our
educational system today.